Top 10 Tips for Stopping Gambling
Admin's Note: Help us welcome Steve Anonymous to the Drunkless Crew! Steve is helping us bring attention to addiction via the Gambling side of things. Addiction is addiction, and anyway we look at it, it's pure hell when there appears to be no where out. Through sharing his stories and experience, Steve is providing connections on a different level than we've had before (though not so different at all), and we're happy to support and be a part of his outreach to those that are still suffering from the Addiction of Gambling.
Steve was contacted by Tami Harper Winn who extended the invitation to him to write for our Feature Friday blog, and his submission sent chills of familiarity down our spines (that article can be found here), so we asked him if he wanted to take up a regular position to support his outreach, and he graciously accepted the invite.
Thank you, Steve, for your efforts on helping those who feel lost in their addiction; helping them find hope for a life that truly can be serene.
Welcome aboard, my friend.
By Steve Anonymous
There is no magic pill for stopping gambling but the list below is what's helped my recovery over the last 14 years and hopefully simple enough to follow.
- Attend regular Gamblers Anonymous meetings.
- Accept you are powerless over gambling and you cannot beat the bookie.
- Hand over control of your finances to limit your access to money.
- Be honest with those closest to you (and yourself).
- Stay as far away from gambling as possible and limit your opportunity by self exclusion/online blockers etc.
- There is no quick fix so take things one day at a time.
- Do not test yourself, the addiction will win.
- Accept things done in the past cannot be changed, move forward and improve yourself.
- Fill the void left by gambling with something productive.
- Attend regular Gamblers Anonymous meetings and don't get complacent.
I've slipped the meetings one in twice as that is the best tip I can give anyone as its worked for me 👍 :)
Try it for 90 days and you might turn your life around....what have you got to lose?