Happy Saturday Morning!
Hi! Thanks for taking time out of your busy Saturday morning to stop by Drunkless,and especially the newly launched "Saturday Morning Post"! Since Scott so graciously offered me this opportunity to share some of my experience, strength, and hope (E,S, &H) with you, I've been rolling some ideas around in my head. What to write about? How to approach this? Yikes!
First, a short introduction: My name is abbie (abbiegrrl or abbie_grrl, online) and I'm a grateful recovering alcoholic/addict in longterm sobriety. My drug of choice was "MORE". Like the majority of us, in recovery, I also live with mental illness, including anxiety, PTSD, and depression. I say that I "live with" them because I don't "suffer from" them, any more. They are a part of who I am, and they color my perceptions at times. As long as I keep my focus on the solution, and work a program of recovery, they're manageable. I have 2 beautiful sons, 3 spoiled furbabies, and one smokin' hot husband. I do my best to live a transparent life, today. Sure, I catch myself in a fabrication occasionally, but the trick is, I fess up much more quickly now than I used to. It's just too much work keeping track of lies, dontcha think?
I think I've come up with the plan, for this space, for now. For today. Let's have a regular...
Saturday Morning Gratitude List
As much as I rolled my eyes in the earliest days of my sobriety, whenever the topic of "gratitude" came up, I have come to love a thoughtful, heartfelt Gratitude List. I guess the longer I'm clean/sober, the more I recognise about my life, to be grateful for. So, let's begin, shall we? I'll keep these short, so later perhaps I can expound on them.
I am grateful for
- Sobriety. Without which I would have nothing more, worth saying, to add.
- Living in a place where I am free to go, do, and be whomever I choose, and that includes the freedom of my spiritual/religious practices.
- Having family (blood and chosen) who care enough about me to call me on my sh*t when necessary. They give me the space to find my way, whether that means success or another effing learning opportunity.
- Having the education that I do. It's not what I'd like, but it is better than much of the world will ever know.
- Music. That includes the sounds of nature; rain hitting the roof, my cat purring, the ocean waves as the crash upon the shore, and the sound of the birds that greet each morning with their praises for one more day.
- A roof over my head that's cool in the summer and warm in the winter.
- A vehicle that gets me to work regularly, and to church, and to meetings...
- A spouse who works hard to take care of me and our family. He's also in recovery, and God found the perfect match for me, in him.
- Hope for tomorrow. Regardless of how today or yesterday played out, tomorrow is a new day, and it just might be the day that the miracle happens.
- The opportunity to write in my blog, and here, and where ever else I'm blessed to find to share my E, S, & H.
That's it for this time, kids. Please drop me a line if you've got something that you're especially grateful for, and maybe I'll compile a list from your replies!
Bloggery goodness: www.abbieinwondrland.wordpress.com