By: Michael B - Monday, 11 January, 2016
1) Your sponsor isn’t all that interested in the “reasons” you drink.
2)Your therapist thinks your root problem is your lack of self-esteem, negative self-image, and your poor self-concept. Your sponsor thinks your problem is a three letter word with no hyphens (YOU).
3) Your therapist wants you to pamper your “inner child”. Your sponsor thinks it ought to get a job.
4) Your sponsor thinks you inventory should be about you, not your parents.
5) Speaking of your parents, your sponsor tells you not to confront them, but to make amends to them.
6) The only time your sponsor uses the word “closure” is before the word “mouth”.
7) Your sponsor thinks “boundaries” are things you need to take down, not build up.
8) Your therapist wants you to love yourself first. Your sponsor wants you to love others first.
9) Your therapist prescribes care taking and medication. Your sponsor prescribes prayer making and meditation.
10) Your sponsor thinks “anger management skills” are numbered 1,2,3,4,5,6,7,8,9,10,11,12
11) Now that you haven’t had a drink in 6 months, your therapist thinks you should make a list of your goals and objectives for the next 5 years, starting with finishing up that college degree. Your sponsor thinks you should start today by cleaning coffeepots, helping her carry a heavy box of literature to the jail, and making your bed.
12) Your sponsor wont lose his license to practice if he talks about God.